Fully-automated device for high throughput workflow
BioSAXS is a highly optimized sample changer robot working with standard SBS well plates:
– Automatic well plate recognition : The sample storage unit can be loaded with a standard SBS well plate for sample solutions and one Eppendorf strip for buffer solutions. The SBS plate type is recognized automatically.
– Automatic liquid height recognition : The height of sample liquid within the individual well plates is recognized automatically.
– Automatic and fast sample transfer cycle : The entire cycle, including sample loading, unloading and capillary cleaning is done within 50 seconds. This performance is reached for all sample viscosities: the BioSAXS sample changer automatically adjusts the transfer to the sample viscosity in order to achieve a duty cycle close to 50 seconds.
– Automatic exposure cell calibration : All calibrations and adjustments for a new exposure capillary are automatic: the BioSAXS sample changer adjusts the dead volume, measures the capillary diameter, identifies the sample position on the screen and adjusts the focus positions for both capillary walls. (Adam Round, 2014)
– Automatic cleaning process : The pipetting needle and the exposure cell capillary undergo automatic cleaning within each cycle. This integrated cleaning process considerably improves the workflow, giving faster operation, better and more reliable cleaning compared to classical approaches, e.g. manual cleaning. (Adam Round, 2014)
“…, the operation of the Sample Changer was proven to be highly reliable: at the EMBL@PETRA-III P12 beamline over 80, 000 samples were loaded and measured during 2013, with only five failures owing to various reasons, corresponding to a failure rate of below 0.01%.” (Adam Round, 2014)